Saturday, December 21, 2013

Our first month

It's hard to believe it has been over a month since Baby C was born.  How time flies...especially when you have a newborn...and two young kids.  Lots of sleepless nights helps make the time fly too...and makes you forget the days of the week.  That being said, we really have had an amazing month!  I would say so far, hands down, the transition from 2 to 3 has been easier than transitioning from 1 to 2.  Why, you might ask?  I have come up with several reasons.  First, we're already used to lack of sleep, so it didn't feel as traumatic as with your first (or second).  Part of what made Mason's birth so exhausting is Miss E stopped sleeping around that time, so that was really terrible.  We're also more used to chaos, multitasking, not having time to ourselves, etc which are all magnified by another kid.  However, in my books, newborns are fairly easy (at least my kids have been good babies).  They have basic needs (eating, getting their diapers changed, the occasional bath, sleeping), so fairly straight-forward.  For me, life got much more exhausting when #2 became mobile, and this was magnified when he reached 15 months and also started having strong opinions.  Sigh...the screaming months.  Thankfully, Mason seems to be exiting the screaming months as he is more able to communicate what he wants.  Thank you Lord!
Part of what made the transition to #3 much easier is my mom came and stayed with us for 3 whole weeks!  3 weeks...we felt so blessed that she would sacrifice her time and energy to stay with us.  Helping with 3 kids 3 and under is no easy task...certainly not a restful vacation.  She was truly a tremendous help and we wish she was still here!  She gave Campbell every single bath (funny fact...she has given all of my babies their first bath), washed infinite loads of laundry, played with kids for many hours, among many other things.


When I became a mother, I realized how much my mom sacrificed for me.  It became very clear quickly how much she had done for me for years.  Yet even now that I am an adult, a mother myself, she continues to sacrifice, continues to love me and my children.  She inspires me.

One of the fun activities her and Elliott got to do was make a "ginger" house, as Elliott called it.  It was fun activity, but Elliott constantly wanted to know when they were going to eat it.  Funny store...Truman decided to eat the ginger house when we were gone one day...I'm surprised it didn't cause serious stomach issues.
The other thing you may not know about my mom is she is the baby whisperer.  Like for real.  She can calm any baby.  I have learned so much from her.
My sweet baby girl!  She has been such a blessing, and has truly filled my heart with so much joy.  When I was pregnant, I had a hard time visualizing her, imaging how another child would fit into our family.  And yet then she was born, and my heart fills like it will burst with joy.  Words can't describe.
We have learned several things about our sweet girl this past month: she HATES being cold...like really hates it, she does not care for baths, she loves to snuggle and especially loves to be held.
She takes the best naps in the afternoon evening, eats like a champ every 3 hours, has monster burps, and usually has plenty of spit-up to accompany the burps.  Spit-up is just part of my wardrobe and perfume these days.
Her daddy hasn't gotten as many snuggles as he would like, because he has been doing the lion share of work with the older two.  I guess that's how it works when you have multiple kids.  Seriously couldn't have made it this first month without him.  Like for real.





1 comment:

  1. She is absolutely beautiful, Erica!!!! I'm so proud of you for conquering being a mom to 3!

    ReplyDelete