Monday, April 16, 2012

Toys, toys, toys

I'm totally slacking on the whole picture front. I'm amazed I can go days without taking pictures (that never happened with Miss E), and if I actually do take some pictures, the process of getting them ON the computer can take days as well. Oh the life with 2 kids. :) Both kids are actually sleeping right now and I hardly know what to do with myself...be productive (because there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done) or just relax. The dilemma.

I've been thinking about TOYS a lot today. E's toys for that matter. She has never been really into her toys and usually just entertains herself by finding random things around the house. She does play with some toys for short periods of time, but she's never really been into dolls or stuffed animals. I realized this weekend how "babyish" so many of our toys still are, partly because honestly, I don't even know what she would play with. This became very apparent to me when we had a 4 year old over, and there was not many fun toys for her to play with. Any advice for toys or things to play with for a 20 month old? I feel like I need a few more "age appropriate" toys.

Day 11...we have survived over a whole week on the Whole30. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty proud of us. It has not been easy. I would say days 5 and 6 were hardest for me...the newness had worn off, and I began to think "What the heck were we thinking? This stinks." Thankfully, we had some really good food this weekend that I wanted to share.

Spicy Kale Chips-I've always wanted to incorporate more kale in my diet because it's supposed to be so good for you, but haven't really known how to do that. This is a really easy way to eat lots of kale in a short time. Yummy. I'm not sure how it would save (we ate it ALL), so you have to take the time to make them. Definitely worth it though. Word of wisdom...don't put too much cayenne pepper in it. I doubled the seasoning because we had a lot of kale, and they were make-your-nose-run spicy. Still delicious though.
Banana Ice Cream-We can't have any sugar which is really sad, but this little recipe was a perfect little dessert. I'm not even a huge fan of bananas but it was T-asty. Kev liked it so much he froze about 8 more bananas. Desperate? Maybe. I found that it took 3 bananas and 1 cup of coconut milk for 2 people.
Chicken Curry-I made the following recipe in my crockpot (score) and it turned out amazing!!! It is a little prep time intensive because it has lots of veggies, but it is definitely worth it. I found this recipe here and she does all the chopping ahead of time then freezes it.

Chicken Curry
3T all-purpose flour
4T curry powder
2tsp ground cumin
1.5-2 pounds chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups chopped peeled sweet potatoes
2 cups baby carrots
2 cups coarsely chopped mango (or 2 cans of chopped mango)
1 cup chopped onion
1 zucchini chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 chicken bouillon
.5 cups raisins (for garnish)
.5 cups peanuts or cashews

My few modifications: I didn't cube the chicken but put the whole breast in and shredded at the end, I put the veggies in about halfway through so they wouldn't be too mushy (and I probably could have waited longer), more veggies, a little less seasoning (because I ran out of cumin and curry), skipped the raisins and peanuts or cashews.

3 comments:

  1. I was SO hoping that you'd have some great comments already about toys because we're having the same issue. Paisley doesn't like any of hers. She plays with the dog bowl, spatulas, the cats, her parents, etc. I would like to just give away all of her toys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just have a friend tell me about "busy bags." She found the idea on pinterest and it could be a winner. :)

      Delete
  2. One thing that we'll probably look into (although it takes up space) is a play kitchen/house/workshop/etc toy. Callie plays with her cousins play kitchen that's being stored at Jason's parents and seems to like it a lot. She doesn't really role play with it yet but just likes to open and close the doors, play with the utensils, etc. As she gets older, I could see how she might play with it more as a role with her dolls, etc. Just a thought. Right now she's all about ANYTHING outside so we have a slide and sandbox in the back that she plays with. She also loves to swing so that may be what's next on our list as well.

    ReplyDelete