Sunday, November 18, 2012

The cold

We have been blessed with several beautiful days lately (like in the 50s) and I am so thankful!  But we've also consistently gotten more cold days...days with frost covering all the car windows, days it's definitely too cold to bundle the kids up for a walk.  In some ways, I love the cold.  There is beauty in the changing seasons, great anticipation of what's to come, warm clothes and blankets are so cozy and hot chocolate and coffee hit the spot.  

But I also feel a sense of fear.  How can the kids and I expend energy when there is a foot of snow on the ground?  Not to mention the process of going anywhere is a...well...a process.  The coats, gloves, mittens, extra blankets.  It's hard enough getting out of the door with two as it is.  And did I mention that Miss E is completely against coats of any kind?  That's right, coats.  She hates wearing coats.  I don't know if it's an independence thing or she doesn't get cold, but whatever it is, it is a BATTLE to get her to wear a coat.  Since it hasn't been super cold yet, sometimes we just bring her coat so she can wear it if she gets cold (she never does).  So if you see my 2-year-old child out without her coat, please don't judge.  Things in the world of children are not always as clear cut as they seem.

Back to the expending energy, we LOVE being outside.  We love going on walks to the park...exercise for me and energy out for the kids.  I can tell I'm going to run out of places to go this winter...there is only so many times you can go to the mall or Target in a month. :)  I obviously need to find some better options.  I haven't really found any Gymboree places here and all the library events are on days that I work.  Back to the drawing board.

On a semi-cold day a couple of weeks ago, the kids and I got to spend some much needed time outside.  Have I mentioned that I love kids in hats?  I recently got Mason this hat on a trip to Chicago and H&M and haven't regretted it a second.  I also got Miss E a hat...but she will only wear her hat from last year. Oh the mind of a 2-year-old.
 Truman (or T as Elliott calls him) is a huge source of entertainment when we're outside.  He has been obsessed with all the fat squirrels hanging around our backyard.  He hasn't caught one...yet.
Leaves!

Miss E is a difficult one to photograph.  She does not like looking at the camera EVER!
 Little man is quite the opposite.
Wherever I went, he would find me
Melt my heart.

Ignore the boogers.
I spoke too soon.  She gave me glimpse.
Profile.
Admiration.
 Siblings.
 LOVE!

1 comment:

  1. It cracks me up how alike Paisley and Elliott are!!! Paisley is now insisting on which shoes she wears now too which is either her cowboy boots, light up tennies, or "tap-tap" shoes which are play high heels. She also refuses to bundle up and really is a heat rock. And the beautiful girl is not a picture taker either.

    ReplyDelete