Saturday, February 13, 2010

Beans

So as I was working out today, I was reading through a random magazine about how to eat to prevent cancer. Odd I know, but I forgot my headphones so I had to do something to make the time pass more quickly. Food and nutrition are always very interesting to me, and one of the points the article was emphasizing was how important it was to have frequent veggies and fruits during the day (of course) and eat meals without animal meat (ie using beans and such). This just further confirmed my opinion that beans are AMAZING! Lots of fiber, can be a complete protein, low fat, helps prevent cancer...the list just goes on and on.

As I was rummaging through my cabinets trying to figure out what to have for lunch, the above information fresh on my mind, what should I find but a can of pinto beans. Jack pot! I washed and drained the pinto beans, added a can of green chilis, salt to taste, and cumin and put it on a couple of corn tortillas. Topped with a little melted mozzarella cheese and salsa, it was SO delicious!!! And I still have leftovers. So today, as I make our meal menu for the week, my goal is to incorporate more meatless, bean recipes into our diet as well as increase our fiber. Get ready Kev! Maybe I should also pick up some Bean-o at the store for poor Kev. :)

1 comment: