Friday, September 9, 2011

Recipe-Chicken Enchilada Slow Cooker Soup

I have done such a terrible job taking pictures lately. I don't know what my deal is. I have these grand ideas of getting really artsy pictures of Elliott outside or of the rest of our house, but unfortunately my house is dirty and it's rainy outside. No excuse I know. I plan to remedy this today...hopefully.

So instead, I thought I would post one of the new recipes I have tried recently. Sidenote: when I told Kev I posted the recipe for Quick and Easy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole, he said, "I think you have made better enchilada casseroles before." Thanks for the vote of confidence honey. So we discovered that although while he liked the recipe, he is not as big of a fan of green enchilada sauce while I, on the other hand, could probably drink the stuff. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it. So there is my disclaimer on that recipe...proceed with caution if you don't like green sauce.

For this recipe, he gave his whole hearted approval that it was a "blog worthy" recipe. So here you go.

Chicken Enchilada Slow Cooker Soup

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken
breast halves
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn,
drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
including juice
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 white onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to
taste
DIRECTIONS:
1.Rinse and pat dry the chicken breasts, then place into the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the corn, tomatoes, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, onion, cilantro, bay leaves, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
2.Cook on Low for 6 hours. Transfer the chicken to a large plate, then shred the meat with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and continue cooking for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.com


My changes (because I never leave good enough alone):
  • I only had one chicken breast (definitely not a pound), and it was mostly frozen.
  • I added two cans of beans to increase the protein (black and pinto)...beans make everything better.
  • I added a can of Rotel.
  • I added more chicken broth to thin it out a little bit.
  • I topped our soups with the cilantro instead of adding it to the crockpot.
  • We topped our soups with grated sharp cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Yumminess.
My thoughts:
  • Very easy recipe! I basically just dumped everything in my crockpot then shredded the chicken right before we ate it. You could definitely cook it on low for longer than it says.
  • It tasted very similar to tortilla soup (which I love).
  • It was a little spicy for Miss E's taste. I think she would have liked it better if we wouldn't have put the can or Rotel in it.
  • It tasted great left over. Always a positive in my books.
  • We will definitely be making this soup again! I'm so excited to be building the list of crockpot recipes I can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment